The Owego Fire Department is located in the state of New York, county of Tioga, Village of Owego. The department was organized in 1828, as a volunteer fire department, for the purpose of providing fire protection. The Owego Fire Department is organized to save lives, suppress and control fires, provide fire prevention education, hazardous materials response, water/ice rescue, public assistance during natural emergencies, and other activities as deemed in the best interest of the fire department or citizens of our community.
Membership of the fire department is comprised of five companies. Membership is divided into interior and exterior firefighters for responding members. The total membership averages 300 members. It is the commitment of this department to provide to the best of our ability, a safe operation, prevent accidents, illness, fatalities, and comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
Training for the entire department is held weekly. Specialized crews and teams train as necessary. Additional training is provided throughout the year in the form of state training courses and seminars. Chiefs and line officers serve as the safety committee. The safety committee consists of the line officers of the companies and any other personnel deemed appropriate by the chief.
The department operates out of four stations and responds to roughly 300 fire calls per year. Members dedicate an average of 300-500 hours each year attending calls, training sessions, and organizational meetings.