Thank you for visiting the Fire Department of the Village of Owego’s website. Owego is located in the Southern Tier of New York on the Susquehanna River. Our fire and rescue protection area covers the entire Village of Owego and a portion of the Town of Tioga. We frequently provide mutual aid to our surrounding communities.
The Owego Fire Department was founded in August, 1828, after the Village of Owego was plagued by numerous fires. We were incorporated by act of the State Legislature in April, 1862, as “The Fire Department of the Village of Owego”. Our department is comprised of five fire companies including Susquehanna Hose Co. #1, Wave Hose Co. #2, Croton Hose Co. #3, Hiawatha Engine Co. #4, and Ahwaga Ladder Co. #5. Each company has its own company room in one of our four fire stations and is responsible for its assigned fire apparatus. Our stations include Central Station and Station #2 located in the heart of the Village on North Avenue, Station #3 on the “Flats” area of the Village, and Station #4 on the Village’s “Southside” (of the River).
Over 300 members comprise our department in several capacities including fire and rescue services, water rescue, fire police, and emergency support services. We encourage any person who lives or works in our fire coverage area to join us and become a part of the Owego Fire Department family. We appreciate and welcome our community’s support.